16 September 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Smyrna Sauvignon Blanc-Trebbiano 2014

The Smyrna Sauvignon Blanc-Trebbiano I picked up a Carrefour not too long ago. I've never tried any of Smyrna's wines and since summer is still on and I needed more whites I figured why not. This was a good decision.

I always hesitate a little over Sauvignon Blancs never knowing if I'm going to get something that's on the herby and green pepper end of the scale (which I do not like) or the riper peachy and fruity end of the scale (which I do like). Because wine roulette is not my favorite game, despite how often I seem to play it here, I was thrilled when I detected lost of fruit in the nose including: peach, pear,  and citrus. It was also a little floral versus the herbaceous nose early harvested Sauvignon Blancs display.


On the palate it was soft but with a zesty spark of acid. I didn't get any of the green herbal flavors often found in Sauvignon Blanc. It's a nice accessible wine with lingering flavors of tropical fruits, peach, and white flowers. Sure it's not winning any gold medals any time soon but I don't always need or want something that I feel like I have to mull over every sip. For 30-something TL at Carrefour I am happy to have a wine every once in a while that I can just drink and enjoy with my dried fruits and apples/goat cheese/honey and not worry about having deep thoughts while I'm drinking it.

This is my white wine comfort zone: fruity (particularly those peach and tropical favors), no noticeable oak, medium-low acid. I want to like some of those heftier, oakier whites*, like last week's Son of Mirkwood; I just...don't.
 
*Except Chardonnay. Why someone wants to ruin a perfectly nice wine like Chardonnay by aging it in oak instead of steel is beyond me. But to each his own.

No comments: