06 July 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Kocabağ 2014 Emir

Last fall while in Cappadocia with my brother we stumbled upon the Kocabağ winery. I don't recall ever seeing this wine in Istanbul so I took advantage of being there and picked up several of their Emir wines. Previously the only Emir varietal I'd seen was Turasan's so I was excited to see how many Kocabağ had.


One of the things I continue to like about Emir wines is that it does not match well with oak so in all likelihood your Emir has been steel-aged. This Emir by Kocabağ (40-something TL I think) was pale and brilliant in the glass with a lot of pineapple in the nose. On the palate it was light with some lively acidity, more pineapple, and faints hints of minerality which gave it a lightly salty and ashy flavor.

This is not my favorite variation of an Emir. I suspect that it may have been briefly oaked or had some oak chips passed through it. For me the Turasan is the Emir to beat and Kocabağ has not done that here.

No comments: