02 January 2017

Persimmon Pudding Cake

After the success of the persimmon bread I made I decided to try out a persimmon dessert recipe: persimmon pudding cake. It's as easy to mix up as the bread was-easier in fact as there are no dates to pit and chop!


Sherlock wanted in on the baking action

I do love persimmons but they are a bit of a pain to work with. Often if I can find persimmons with perfect skin I just chop them into quarters and give them a whir in the food processor. However this last trip to the market didn't result in the nicest of persimmons; they were all fairly heavily damaged so I had to skin them before tossing them in the food processor.



Despite my annoyance with the state of the persimmons; I love the cozy feeling I get from baking in the autumn and winter. Part of it is that the window in my apartment doesn't seal so it's freezing in my kitchen. Strong wind often forces it open, knocking over my electric kettle and making a mess of my (admittedly only sometimes) clean counter. So keeping the oven working, especially when it emanates the rich, warm aromas of cinnamon and clove not only heats up the kitchen but makes the entire apartment feel that much warmer.

Using fleur de sal, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove


This recipe by Simply Recipes is a nice, quick little bake that results in a really moist, slightly spongy cake that I enjoyed not only as dessert but for breakfast. Aside from anything involving bacon, dessert for breakfast is one of my favorite things. I had to use a few short cuts from the original recipe skipping spices that I don't have but it still turned out pretty well, especially when highlighted with fresh whipped cream. Although what doesn't fresh whipped cream improve?


Persimmon Pudding Cake (adapted from Simply Recipes)
  • 2 cups Hachiya persimmon pulp (about 4 persimmons)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp fleur de sal (or 1/2 tsp regular salt)
  • 2 tsps cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp clove
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
  1.  Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the persimmon pulp, eggs, melted butter, milk, and vanilla (I used Tahitian).
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (expect the nuts).
  4. In three additions, incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet then fold in the nuts.
  5. Bake in a square pan for about 50 minutes*.
*My cake ended up more cake than pudding so I think I let it bake a little too long. Maybe check it first at 40 minutes then keep an eye on it.



No comments: