15 May 2012

The Corniche-Last Look at Lebanon

In my rush to get my latest trip posted I completely forgot about the corniche! My last afternoon in Beirut one of my colleagues suggested that I walk along the corniche, the sea side promenade in downtown Beirut. It was a lovely, if slightly overcast, afternoon so I much enjoyed walking along the promenade.

Lined with palm trees and skyscrapers on one side and the Mediterranean on the other, it was very pleasant to walk along, smell the sea, and people watch. The sea was very rough that day and the waves so intense that in some cases waves slammed into the sea wall, exploded over the rail, and soaked everything in its path.




 



 Results of a strong wave.

I kept trying to get a picture of a wave breaking over the wall but of course my timing was always off. Alas. My end goal was the Pigeon's Rock in Raouche. I did make it, as the pictures below can attest, and enjoyed the sunset behind the rock while smoking my only shisha of the entire trip.




So not the greatest post ever...but completes the picture I have of Lebanon and cements my desire to return!

No comments: