04 November 2014

Persimmon Rice Pudding

Fall continues here in Istanbul although not nearly as beautifully as when I wrote my last fall post. Instead of Indian Summer weather and blue skies we are moving into an almost early winter. Which in Istanbul means 10 C, rain, mist, heavy haze, and grey. Lots of grey. Grey like stereotype London but without the benefit of cream tea.


My measuring cup


 


Truly depressing.

You what's not depressing about fall? Autumnal produce. Like the apples and pears of the last post, and persimmons. The persimmon is an odd fruit and with its tomato like appearance; if you don't know what it is you might not know it's a fruit. And yes I know that technically tomatoes are fruit but technically eggplants are berries so if you really want to go there... To this day the best way I've ever had persimmons is the fried persimmon cake thing on a stick Lauren and I gobbled in Xi'An (which we once tried and failed to create). Since they're so inexpensive here I decided to see what else they could do.; adding them to rice pudding seemed like a great idea in this weather.


 


As much as I appreciate borrowing my neighbor's mini oven I do still long for the full kitchen I had in DC. I miss the little things as well as the big ones. Like measuring cups. Not that I couldn't find some here I'm sure; I'm just lazy really. My measuring cup is a coffee mug. I figure if I go on the assumption that the mug is 8 ounces and "measure" everything else accordingly I should be in the ballpark. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't.





Rice pudding is such a nice dreary day food and when eaten for breakfast gives you a warm glow for the rest of the day. Adding persimmon brings it to the next level.

Ingredients:
2 very ripe, medium persimmons

1/2 Cup dried cranberries

2/3 Cup rice
3 1/2 Cup milk
1/4 Cup honey
1 1/2 Tsp orange zest
3 Tbs sugar
Cinnamon to taste
Nutmeg to taste
Salt

Directions:
  1. Cut off the pointed end of the persimmons and scoop out the fruit's pulp. Way easier than peeling and chopping. Blend the pulp and set aside 2/3 Cup for later. 
  2. Combine rice, milk, honey, zest, sugar, salt, and spices and cook over medium heat, stirring really super often, until it comes to a simmer. Lower the heat and stir often until the mixture thickens; about 40 minutes. Maybe grab a book to read while you're stirring.
  3. Once thickened, stir in the cranberries and let cook about 5 minutes or until the dried fruit has softened.
  4. Remove from heat, stir in the persimmon pulp, and let cool a bit.
  5. Dive in!

No comments: