04 November 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Suvla 2012 Kirte

Every time I visit the Suvla shop in Cihangir I inquire as to whether or not something new has come out. Last time I hit a jackpot. Suvla has a new Kirte. I've previously blogged about the 2011 Kirte and the 2010 so it's time to see what's going on with the 2012!

Suvla's Kirtes are the same blend of wines as their Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc blend which remains one of my absolute favorite Suvla wines. However, unlike the (unnamed) blend, the Kirtes are oaked. The extra attention also reflects in the price. Whereas the blend hovers around 28TL/bottle, the Kirtes are in the 40TL range.


The 2012 Kirte has a dark and spicy nose with undertones of forest fruits; all of which come through on a palate rich with red and forest fruits, spice, and maybe some cassis. Finished off with medium tannins, a well-rounded amount of acid, and a long finish, the 2012 Kirte is a great wine to pair with steak and other grilled red meats. For my taste, it was a little hot and syrupy so it's not something I would drink on its own.

A nice wine for sure, but for me I'll stick with the blend.


I recently came back from the States with a gift that is my favorite new accessory to my kitchen. It's hard to see in this picture but on the upper right is a wooden sign that says: "ALCOHOL Because no great story ever started with someone eating a salad." I love that my friends know me so well!

No comments: