14 September 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Sevilen 2010 Fume Blanc 900

I have never had a Fume Blanc before and had to Google to remind myself what it even was. A Fume Blanc is basically just a Sauvignon Blanc that has spent some significant time in oak. The process and name were popularized by Robert Mondavi of all people in the 60s or 70s. This particular bottle I found at Solera, no shock there. When they told me that it had been sitting on the shelf for three years, was the only one they had, and was in fact so forgotten that they didn't even know how much it cost I simply had to have it. And since they didn't know how much it cost they made up a price on the spot for me (67.50 TL with the discount).


Often when I buy wine it sits on shelf forever until I get around to drinking it. What I'm drinking as I type I bought a month ago at least.This one I opened almost immediately because I was so curious. In the glass it's a beautiful, intense gold; pretty much the same color as the label. After having spent 10 months in oak and a few years in the bottle I would expect no less.

I really have no idea what was going on in the nose. This wine drove me nuts. I had three different friends try it, two of whom thought the bottle had gone off until they got used to the intense aromas. It definitely had not gone off but for the life of me I have no idea regarding the aromas or flavors.  Smokey for sure, some citrus maybe? It's a big, full-bodied white with a long finish, low acid, and really creamy texture.


I have no idea if I liked this or not. It was my first Fume Blanc so I did not know what to expect. I now have another in my refrigerator and want to give that a try soon. I noticed that the Cave has the 2009 and I'm curious to try it...or at least ask how much it is! For the first time I have no conclusion one way or the other about a wine but I am curious to study this style more.

No comments: