18 March 2014

Water Water Everywhere - The Canals of Venice

I recently got back from a trip to Venice. A friend of mine who recently moved to London emailed to say that she'd done a lot of exploring in and around London and was ready to take advantage of the cheap flights to Europe, and did I want to go to Venice? Duh. I haven't been to Venice or Italy at all for that matter since 2000. And since one of the reasons I love living in Istanbul is the (relatively) inexpensive and usually direct flights (thank you Turkish Airlines) to so many destinations, it was easy enough to get a ticket directly to Marco Polo on 10 days notice!



Grand Canal

Grand Canal

We could not have had better weather. Warm and sunny every day we were there! Sadly the pictures I came home with are not my best efforts ever but I shall post them anyway. I laughed when taking a lot of these knowing that my sister would complain that once again most of what I photographed were buildings but figured maybe she'd enjoy that this time I expanded my repertoire to include canals.

Grand Canal



Grand Canal

We opted out of taking a gondola ride. Even during low season rides aren't inexpensive. They start at about 80 Euro (during the day, I believe the evening prices start at 100-120 Euro) for about 40 minutes. Fair enough I suppose, it certainly cannot be an easy job. I remember trying to punt a boat full of my classmates one summer in Tübingen, Germany and it was mad difficult. None of us could keep the boat going in a straight line let alone contend with the other gondolas, vaporetti, and private boats that vie for space in Venice's canals!

The Rialto Bridge

Grand Canal

Grand Canal

Grand Canal

While of course gondolas and vaporetti can be used to get around the city, Venice really can be explored on foot. Unlike most of Europe it's blessedly free of uneven cobblestones making it easier to walk around. But walking is thirsty work. So if you need a break while wandering around admiring the canals, I suggest stopping in Da Volto-an enoteca near the Rialto.

Enoteca Da Volto

Grand Canal from the Palazzo Ducale



Da Volto was recommended to us by our hotel staff and we liked it so well we went twice. It has a restaurant section and I imagine the food is good but we weren't inspired by the menu and so chose to not eat there. However, the bar are has a great selection of wines that go far beyond the Valpolicellos and Chiantis we've all heard of and naturally the can make any mixed drink you want. Especially popular in Italy are Aperol Spritzers. We ordered one to see what the fuss was all about and while Aperol is slightly less bitter than Campari but still was too much for us. Da Volto's bar area also has a great selection of finger sandwiches and if you go I encourage you to try them. They were simple but absolutely delicious. The first time we went we ordered a bunch and made them our evening meal. The staff at Da Volto were super friendly, spoke excellent English, and gave us great wine recommendations.





So many people seem to be under the influence of this mass delusion that Paris is the most romantic city in the world. For me at least it will always be too full of French people for that. I will argue that Prague (even when it's only 2C) or Venice deserve that moniker. Come on! Charming little bridges, canals, gondolas, opera...how is this not more romantic than what is essentially a giant iron radio tower?



Grand Canal

Sure maybe July/August the canals I find so charming start to smell a little less so...but in March all you notice is how impossibly blue the water (which deep down you know, if you don't want to admit to yourself, is horribly polluted) is and how there is nothing better in the world than promenading alongside a canal with a gelato in hand!

Grand Canal

Whether or not the pictures I took were good seems to be moot as I already have another five-six draft Venice posts in the works so check back for those! And if you're not already overwhelmed trying to keep up with Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else is out there...we're on Google+ now so follow us there!

No comments: