31 March 2014

Turkish Wine of the Week - Terra Kalecik Karasi

I have found it!! I have found my hands down favorite vintner for Kalecik Karasi. This is the second winner from Terra, the first being the Narince I reviewed some weeks ago. I'm not entirely surprised how good this was though. While price is not always a sign of quality, as anyone who has ever bought wine at Trader Joe's knows, it's not not a factor. The Terra is a little bit on the "pricier" side running about 35TL ($17-ish) a bottle. It's worth it.*


I've been fooled by a nice nose before so the overwhelming (in a good way) berry/cherry that I was smelling made me very hopeful; and yet cautious at the same time. I was not disappointed. The flavor was similarly in a good way overwhelming in it's berriness. Most notably raspberry. Often a wine that has such a strong berry flavor profile, particularly raspberry and strawberry (which I did not taste but am mentioning for the purpose of berry clarity) is a sweeter dessert style wine. Not so with this one.

In addition to the pleasing berryness, the Terra Kalecik Karasi was very smooth and needed little to no airing. Despite the berry it still went very well with the types of food I would normally think to pair a Kalecik Karasi.My dinner was a simple plate of haydari, dolma, and sasksuma.

I also was indulging in some icki kofte. The flavor of the kofta was actually a little too strong for the Terra but I bring up these particular kofte because if you can, you need to get your hands on some.


Icki kofte are ground (likely) beef mixed with the Lord only knows what spices and walnuts. They're then breaded and likes fried? They're fabulous cold, heavenly baked, and may the good Lord bless the folks at Carrefour Turkey and their catering section for always having them around. They're not cheap in store or restaurant, but totally worth it.

This is likely the last Kalecik Karasi I'll review. At least for a while since this is my gold medal winner. So on to other varietals!

*I'm about 2/3 of the way through a bottle of the Pamukkale semi-dry Sultaniye so I should remind myself to not try to blog while partially bombed as my already massively bad spelling just...whew. It's bad stuff.




No comments: