15 April 2015

Turkish Wine of the Week - Suvla 2014 Sauvignon Blanc

I have a hard time with Sauvignon Blancs. I feel like no two are alike which, on the one hand is fantastic because hurrah for new wines, new tastes, and new experiences!On the other, you run into more chances of wines you don't like. I've learned over the years that I just really don't like white wine all that much. Dry white wines that is. Or anything oaked. Don't even try to give me Chardonnay (unless it's steel aged!). So that makes choosing a Sav Blanc which varies from the "less ripe" pale color herby/green bell pepper flavors to "more ripe" darker yellows with summer fruit flavors. I'm all about the latter but the former I'd sooner pour down the drain. And since a great many wines are bottled in dark green glass you can't even try to gauge which end of ripeness you're going to get.

That's a long intro into why Suvla's 2014 Sauvignon Blanc is such a winner for me. I was a little hesitant, especially since Suvla's Sav Blanc is in clear glass and I could see how pale and (from my understanding of the way the scale works) likely it was to be on the "less ripe" end of the scale. So imagine my surprise and delight when I tasted it.


In the nose it was all sorts of yummy things: white peaches, nectarines, and passion fruit. On the palate it was bright and elegant and all those lovely fruits in the nose came out on the tongue as well. The flavor did not ignore the other end of the Sav Blanc flavor profile though as there was something green lurking around in there; but in a nice way...like leaves as a background to beautiful flowers.

I begin to wax poetic again but I have to say this deserves it. I hope Suvla has a good stock of this one (or lets me know when they're running out so I can stock up) as I plan to make this my go-to white. I allowed E&M a small taste, since I had already drunk most of the bottle by the time they came over, and it got enthusiastic thumbs up fro both of them as well.
 

This is a Winesday to celebrate-finding what for me is a rarity-an excellent white wine of I will enthusiastically be drinking a great deal. To top it off it's a really good bargain at 47TL/bottle at the Suvla Shop in Cihangir.

Going forward I think part of my wine research is going to be how to become part of the Suvla family because if that means family discount or, gasp, free wine...how do I sign up?!

No comments: