27 April 2016

Turkish Wine of the Week - Çamlıbağ 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon

I seem to unwittingly be on a mission now to try all the Cabernet Sauvignon wines in Turkey. As far as missions go I don't suppose this one is so bad. Certainly it hasn't been a hardship! This week it's Çamlıbağ's special reserve 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon from the warm climate of Bozcaada (near Çanakkale).


In the glass Çamlıbağ's Cabernet Sauvignon was ruby red with no hints of purple. With a nose and flavor profile that includes blackberry, berry jam, tobacco, baking spice, and what I think were violets it's pretty stereotypical of a warm climate Cabernet Sauvignon.

Lowish tannins and low alcohol don't make for a big Cabernet and this was no different. However for a medium-bodied Cab it did okay. I can't be positive but oaky flavors of baking spice and tobacco in the finish hint that this wine spent at least a little time in oak.


For 45TL (from La Cave) this wasn't too bad. Comparatively I prefer the similarly priced Arda Cabernet Sauvignon or the more expensive Ma'adra and the next time I want a Cab I'm far more likely to buy one of those instead of this one. However after tasting this one I am far more willing to try the other wines offered by Çamlıbağ. 

No comments: