05 December 2010

The Blue Mosque

Next on our list of things to visit was the Sultan Ahmed, or Blue Mosque. Built at the beginning of the seventeeth century, the Blue Mosque (so called because of the blue tiles that adorn the interior) is one of only two mosques in all of Turkey with six minarets. It, like the Hagia Sofia, is one of the biggest tourist sites in Istanbul. I have to say that I was impressed with people inside. Everyone was very respectful of staying out of the area designated for worshippers, spoke in low tones and whispers, and did not fuss when asked to reove their shoes or wear scarves (the latter just for women of course).

Even Pope Benedict the XVI prayed in the Blue Mosque during is 2006 visit; marking only the second papal visit in history to a Muslim place of worship. I've read that His Holiness feeds the stray cats that live in the ruins throughout Rome...so I'm betting he loved that cats in Istanbul!




 Blue tiles.


 More low-hanging chandeliers.










I went a little picture crazy in the Blue Mosque so I ended up with a couple dozen pictures that are basically all the same shot but with a slight variation on the angle. At least they're all of something pretty. I sadly haven't had time to really do any editing with my pictures but I did play with some of PhotoShop's more fun color effects on two pictures from the Blue Mosque:



2 comments:

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

I forgot to mention on your last post that Dave is so jealous you went to Hagia Sofia. It is one of his lifelong dreams.

Andy Elliott said...

Super piccies - would love to go there!