17 December 2010

The New Mosque

One of the mosques we visited was the New Mosque on the Golden Horn. It's name actually is New Mosque...I'm um, just not quite sure why.






Fountain in the courtyard for washing feet before entering the mosque.





I loved all these pigeons outside the mosque. I'm one of the few people I know who doesn't hate pigeons. So of course I bought a pan of seeds from one of the vendors and fed the birds.



I like the juxtaposition of the very modern..."art"...and the two mosques. The one behind it I never visited but the one waaay behind it was the Sulemaniye Mosque to which I hiked only to find it closed for construction. Huff.

New Mosque from the side.

New Mosque at night. These are actually some of the first pictures I took. We didn't arrive in Istanbul until late afternoon so by the time we'd settled in it was getting dark.

No comments: